At Pilgrims' Way we strive for all pupils to be present everyday.
Attendance is a big drive for the school this year and features as part of our School Improvement Plan. As a school we are judged on our attendance figures by the Academy trust and Ofsted. The benchmark for whole school attendance has risen this year and as a school our minimum for good attendance is set at 97%. We therefore, need your help and support to raise our attendance percentages. Just ten days over an academic year will reduce your child’s attendance to 95%.
If you ever require any support with ensuring your child’s attendance improves, please do not hesitate to contact the school who can signpost you to help, we will assist you wherever possible.
We are aware that young children can become ill and their immunities are often lower than older children. I want to assure you that we of course do not want you to send your child to school if they are too unwell to be here.
If your child is too ill to come to school please follow these procedures:
- Phone the school office as soon as possible to let us know.
- If we do not have a reason for their absence before registers close we will phone home to find out the reason for absence. We will repeat this call after lunch if necessary.
- If we are unable to make contact with you after 48 hours we will carry out a home visit.
- Until a sufficient reason is provided the absence will be marked as unauthorised.
- 10 sessions of unauthorised absence could result in a penalty notice being requested.
- Please consider how long they need off school carefully as we will only authorise absence for a reasonable period of time.
- Is my child too ill for school?
Each week, in celebration assembly, we celebrate the class with the highest attendance percentage and the most punctual class. Those classes get to keep Attendance Ted and/or Punctuality Pup in their class all week.
At the end of each term, all children with 100% attendance get to put a leaf on our attendance tree.
We send home termly attendance newsletters to keep you up to date and informed on school attendance. We will upload this as they are produced so check again at the end of each term.